Saturday, September 18, 2010

Recipe: Chocolate Chip 'N Oatmeal Cookies



Last weekend, I decided to make cookies, and I stumbled upon this recipe while looking through the ol' Hershey's cookbook. I was pretty excited, especially since oatmeal and chocolate are my favorite cookie ingredients. I have to say that this recipe was pretty neat since it showed me that cake mixes (yes, cake mixes) can be used for other things than just cakes.


Ok, so the pros to this recipe: They were extremely quick to make and there was little mess/cleanup. They were also really, really good.


Cons to this recipe? It's more of a personal thing to me- I like chewy, gooey cookies. The next day after I baked these, they were crunchy. I wasn't a fan of that, but that's just my own personal preference. Also, the batter turns out extremely gooey when you mix it because of all of the buttter that's required. I wound up having to put the batter in the refrigerator for 20-25 minutes before baking, which wasn't something that was mentioned in the recipe.


I think that's about the rundown of these. I would highly recommend them. They are a fun cookie and the recipe doesn't make too much. The cake mix I felt improved the taste of them over all.


Here's the recipe:


Chocolate Chip 'N Oatmeal Cookies (taken from Hershey's Fabulous Desserts, 1989):


1 package (18.25 or 18.5 ounces) yellow cake mix

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (one minute cook quaker oats is what I used)

3/4 cups butter or margarine, softened

2 eggs

1 cup Hershey's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips


Heat oven to 350. In large mixer bowl combine cake mix, oats, butter, and eggs; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until very lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.


That's it! Enjoy and stay tuned for the next recipe-Chocolate Upside Down Coffee Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment