Sunday, September 5, 2010

Recipe: Mint 'N Chocolate Fudge

Out of the things I've made thus far, I think I've liked this one the least. It looks pretty and sounds awesome to make, but I thought the taste and process weren't up to par. I can't say that it tasted horrible because it definitely didn't. It was nice and chocolatey, and definitely tasty, but at the same time not the best fudge I've ever tasted.

So, here are the pros to this recipe. First of all, it was pretty easy and quick to make as far as fudge goes. It was a microwave-only recipe, and didn't require the stove top at all. I like that in the end, since I had to layer the pan with tin foil, all I had to do after cutting the fudge was throw away the tin foil and there was no mess. The chocolate flavor was strong, and it was really good. I thought the fudge set pretty quick too in the fridge.

Cons? The whole process was very messy. There was a lot of confectioners sugar and cocoa everywhere and I had to use a lot of bowls and spoons and what not, so definitely not an easy clean-up. I also did not like the texture of it in the end. I'm not sure if perhaps I didn't blend the mixture enough or what, but I thought the texture of the fudge was very coarse. I wasn't a fan. Also, my mom said that the fudge was extremely sweet (although good!).

When would I serve this? Well, it would be good for after dinner or at a buffet party. The mint also makes it great for the holiday season. Don't get me wrong- although I don't think that this is the greatest fudge recipe, I think I would definitely still serve it as something that people could pick at. I would just have other desserts there too just in case.

Ok, so recipe (taken from Hershey's Fabulous Desserts-1989):

Mint 'n Chocolate Fudge

1/2 cup of butter or margarine
3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup evaporated milk
Pastel Mint Topping (recipe follows)

Line 8-inch square pan with foil. In medium microwave-safe bowl place butter. Microwave at high 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until melted. Add cocoa; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla; blend well (mixture will be dry and crumbly). Stir in evaporated milk. Microwave at high 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is hot. Beat with whisk until smooth. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Cover; chill until firm. Spread Pastel Mint Topping evenly over fudge; chill until firm. Cut into 1-inch squares. Cover; store in the refrigerator.

Just to note: when I put the fudge in the microwave until the mixture became hot, I put it in for a total of 2 minutes and 30 seconds.



Pastel Mint Topping

In small mixer bowl beat 3 tablespoons softened butter or margarine, 1 tablespoon water and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon mint extract until blended. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and 2 drops green or red food color. Beat until smooth.


That's all for this one! Stay tuned for 6 more recipes from this particular book. I determined that I'm going to pick 10 recipes out of a book and do them before I move on to another., so be sure to check in!

No comments:

Post a Comment