Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Recipe: Cream-Filled Banana Cupcakes

Ok, so once again, I kind of improvised since I couldn't find the proper ingredients for this recipe. Instead of using banana cake mix, I just used yellow cake mix. Also, the recipe originally doesn't call for icing on the top (just sugar and walnuts), but I'm a huge sucker for icing, so I cheated and got the store icing (I know, I know...sorry). Also, instead of putting the walnuts on the top of the cup cake, I mixed them around in the batter.

Ok, so pros: OMG THESE ARE AMAZING. Like, my parents and I ate 2 dozen of these things. They are SOOOO good. Also, pretty quick and easy to make. They are extremely moist. I was skeptical when I put the cream cheese filling on top of the batter before putting them in the oven, however, I thought it was awesome that as they baked, the batter rose above the cream cheese filling and the filling fell into the middle of the cupcake.

Cons: They didn't make as many as the recipe originally anticipated. In fact, it made a dozen less. Also, there was TONS of cream cheese filling left over. I felt like it was a giant waste. I wouldn't call this an easy clean up (although it wasn't the worst, either).

These are great for a party, especially a birthday or graduation party. They would also be great at a bake sale.

Here's the recipe:

Cream-Filled Banana Cupcakes (taken from Hershey's Fabulous Desserts, 1989):

Cream Cheese Filling (recipe follows)
1 package (18.5 ounces) banana cake mix (with pudding in the mix) *Note: I used yellow cake mix, 18.25 ounces, no pudding.
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
2 tablespoons sugar *Note: I used icing instead.

Prepare Cream Cheese Filling; set aside. Heat oven to 350. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fill paper lined muffin cups 1/2 full with batter. Spoon about 1 teaspoonful filling into center of each cupcake. Combine nuts and sugar; sprinkle about 1 teaspoonful over top of each cupcake. Bake 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cake portion comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

Cream Cheese Filling

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese; softened
1/3 cup of sugar
1 egg
1 cup Hershey's Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate

In small mixer bowl combine cream cheese, sugar and egg; beat until smooth. Stir in Mini Chips Chocolate.


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment