Saturday, September 18, 2010

Recipe: Chocolate Upside-Down Coffeecake

This was tonight's creation. Please excuse the middle of the cake- part of it wound up sticking to the pan and it was a little messy getting it out.

Over all, I think I liked this cake. I have to admit that the jury is still out on the apple jelly on top. I thought it was a little weird with the chocolate. Other than that, though, I liked the cake. Luckily, the apple didn't have a strong taste and the chocolate chips were more prominent.

The upside to this cake was that it was very simple to make and there was easy clean up.

The downside (get it? Upside/downside- it's an upside-down cake...ah, never mind) was the apple jelly. It was just too weird for me to be mixed with chocolate. I had the reservation going into it and I still have it even after tasting it. It won't stop me from trying it again, but still, I thought it was weird. Also, some might think it's a downside that the cake had to cook for about 50 minutes. Other than that, there wasn't a downside. You can always change the jelly to strawberry or raspberry or something if you don't like it.

I would probably serve this at a small get together or party. I wouldn't serve it at a big event.

Ok, so here's the recipe (taken from Hershey's Fabulous Desserts, 1989):

Chocolate Upside-Down Coffeecake

3/4 cup apple jelly (I used more than this- I used however much it took to cover the bottom of the pan)
1 package (16 ounces) pound cake mix
1 cup Hershey's milk chocolate chips, divided into two 1/2 cups

Heat oven to 325. Grease and flour 9 inch square baking pan. Spread jelly evenly onto bottom of prepared pan. Prepare cake batter according to package directions (you'll need water, 1/4 cup butter or margarine, and 2 eggs). Stir in 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips. Pour batter over jelly layer, spreading gently and evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup chips over top. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cool 5 minutes in pan; invert onto serving plate. Cool at least 15 minutes; serve warm.

That's all! Stay tuned for the next recipe Strawberry Cordial Cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment