Sunday, July 21, 2013

What does “Right Speech” mean?

While reading one of Thich Nhat Hanh’s books (more to come on this in the next week or so), I came across his interpretation of the five precepts, which he refers to as the five mindfulness trainings.  One thing I’ve been really trying to work on is “Right Speech”, which is the fourth mindfulness training. I think Thay phrases it beautifully:

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivate loving speech and deep listening in order to bring joy and happiness to others and relieve others of their suffering. Knowing that words can create happiness or suffering, I am committed to learn to speak truthfully, with words that inspire self-confidence, joy, and hope. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to criticize or condemn things of which I am not sure. I will refrain from uttering words that can cause division or discord, or that can cause the family or the community to break. I will make all efforts to reconcile and resolve all conflicts, however small.

We are socially taught that it is rude or unacceptable to be silent, even more so now with internet forums such as Twitter or Facebook where everyone who is anyone is chiming in their opinion on everything.  A lot of these opinions are less than helpful, often uneducated, and frankly are just meant to hurt another person at any cost. To me it’s all a bunch of unnecessary noise.

Speaking has become so impulsive. I’m quick to realize that right speech doesn’t just come from my mouth. It comes from my frame of mind. I’ve noticed that as soon as a judgment or thought enters my mind, I’ve already begun to communicate it—not just through words, but through facial and bodily expressions and sensations. The idea of “Right Speech” is truly something more difficult to grasp than the simple, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all”. While this is certainly a piece of it, I think it goes a lot deeper. Simply closing my mouth and not speaking harmful words is one thing (and certainly helpful); however, it does not address the fact that I have not opened my mind large enough to accept what is in front of me.

Thus, I’ve decided to take this next month to commit to this mindfulness training seriously.  I’m going to strive to be more deliberate with my words and see communication as a helpful tool rather than something to be taken advantage of.

In the meantime I challenge you--The next time you are about to post something angry, condescending, or negative on the internet (or say such things to another person), I ask that you stop and examine how your body feels. Are you tense? Do you have a sick feeling in your stomach? Perhaps your chest feels tight? Feel the physical sensations. Then think of something nice to say. What does your body do? Does it relieve that tension? I challenge you to do the same thing when you read something mean that another person says and when you read something nice that another person says. I guarantee you there is a difference in the way your body reacts. Words can be poison or they can be medicine. YOU are the difference in how they are used. I ask that you please use them for healing. It makes the world that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment