Sunday, January 16, 2011

Recipe: Southwestern-Style Chicken

Over all I liked this dish. I thought that the chicken was tender, and I liked the twist with the taco seasoning. However, I still think it could use some tweaking. I didn't add enough salt and pepper to it in the crock pot, so that was on me. Although, I still feel like it needed something. Although, I admittedly didn't use the diced tomatoes with jalapenos. I just used regular diced tomatoes since my family doesn't like hot foods. I also am not sure if I would use the flour and the taco seasoning to coat the chicken. I think I would just use the taco seasoning in the future and that's it. However, I didn't cook the chicken on the stove top (as I'll explain later) like the recipe called for either, so that could've been a part of my slight disappointment in taste. In summary, I thought it was a good break from what we normally have, and I would recommend it for others, although with the disclaimer to be open to adding their own flair.

Taste grade: B-

I have a philosophy about crock pot recipes-what's the point in cooking things in a crock pot if you have to cook the food beforehand? You might as well just cook the food on the stove top or in the oven. Thus, when the recipe told me to cook the food before putting it in the crock pot, I didn't do it. I thought it was easy to put together and there was very minimal clean up. It didn't take all 6-7 hours either. It took about 5.

Cook grade: A-

Here's the recipe. I'll add my tweaks and disclaimers on the bottom.

Southwestern-Style Chicken (from Slow Cooker: Appetizers, Soups, Stews, Sandwiches, Sides, and Delicious Desserts, 2005)

6 to 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts*
1 package (about 1 1/4 ounces) taco seasoning mix
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 green peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with jalapenos, undrained
Salt and pepper

Trim visible fat from chicken.

Reserve one teaspoon taco seasoning. Combine flour and remaining seasoning in plastic food storage bag. Add chicken, 1 to 2 pieces at a time; shake to coat.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Transfer chicken to slow cooker; sprinkle with reserved seasoning.**

Add onion to skillet; cook and stir until translucent. Transfer onion to slow cooker. Top with green peppers and tomatoes with juice. Cover; cook on low 6 to 7 hours or until chicken is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.***

*I used 8 pieces.

**I skipped this step all together, and just added all of the ingredients the recipe calls for in the crock pot. I did coat the chicken with the flour and taco seasoning. I sprinkled the left over taco seasoning on top once I put all the other stuff in the crock pot.

***To compensate for the fact that I didn't cook the chicken first, I simply put the crock pot on high for 2 hours to cook the chicken. After that I lowered it to the low setting, which is how it cooked for a remaining 2-2 1/2 hours.

Over all grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment