Sunday, January 16, 2011

Recipe: Risotto-Style Peppered Rice

My problem with this recipe was that it wasn't risotto. It didn't have the texture of risotto, which is the creamy, rich flavor. The melted cheese tried to cover it up, as did the chicken broth, but I still wasn't a huge fan. I also thought it needed more salt. I simply wasn't all that pleased with the outcome.

Taste grade: C-

It was easy to make, and it was done in about 4 hours. I enjoyed watching it get done, especially when I added the cheese. However, the appearance and actually cooking of it far outshines the final product, in my opinion.

Cook grade: B+

Here's the recipe:

Risotto-Style Peppered Rice (from Slow Cooker: Appetizers, Soups, Stews, Sandwiches, Sides, and Delicious Desserts, 2005)

1 cup uncooked converted long grain rice
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) fat free chicken broth
4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, cubed*
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 teaspoon salt

Place rice, bell peppers, onion, turmeric, and red pepper, if desired, into slow cooker. Stir in broth. Cover; cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until rice is done.

Stir in cheese, milk, butter and salt; fluff rice with fork. Cover; cook on low 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

*I used 1 1/4 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese.

Over all grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment