Saturday, January 1, 2011

Recipe: Mocha Crinkles

Another one of my Christmas cookies was called "Mocha Crinkles". I picked this one because a) I like mocha and b) I thought the picture in the recipe book looked cool. Let's be honest- that's the reason why most of us pick a recipe.

These particular cookies are very cake-y when you taste them. They are PACKED with a big chocolate flavor. You get a very slight coffee after taste. I thought they tasted pretty good, but like I said, because it has a rich chocolate flavor, make sure you have milk nearby. Over all, I thought they were better than what I had thought they were going to turn out to be.

Taste grade: A-

As far as making them, they were pretty simple to make. In fact, I think I liked making them better than eating them. When you make them, though, I have to warn you that they have a strong coffee scent. Don't worry! It's not that strong in flavor once they are made (as I said above). It was really neat seeing them "crinkle" in the oven. The only thing about them is that you have to let them set in the refrigerator for a few hours before you make them.

Bake grade: A

I think these would be a nice addition to any sort of cookie gift basket. I do have to say that they crumble easily, though.

Ok, so here's the recipe:

Mocha Crinkles (from Santa's Favorite Cookies: Sweet Treats for the Christmas Season)

1 1/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons instant espresso or coffee granules
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Beat brown sugar and oil in medium bowl with electric mixer. Mix in sour cream, egg, and vanilla, set aside.

Mix flour, cocoa, espresso, baking soda, salt and pepper in another medium bowl.

Add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture; mix well. Refrigerate dough until firm, 3 to 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 350. Pour powdered sugar into shallow bowl. Set aside. Cut dough into 1 inch pieces; roll into balls. Roll balls in powdered sugar.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheets 10 to 12 minutes or until tops of cookies are firm to touch. Do not overbake. Cool on wire racks.


Over all grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment