Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Recipe: Devil's Delight Cake

Recently, I've decided to embark on a cooking/baking expedition and make cooking/baking my hobby. I've decided to start with baking since I love it more than cooking and am more comfortable with it. The first book I enthusiastically pulled from my mom's cookbook bookshelf was "Hershey's Fabulous Desserts", and the first recipe in the book was the Devil's Delight Cake.

Admittedly, upon looking at it, I felt like the cake would be kind of crappy since it uses a cake mix, and generally I'm all about making things from scratch rather than with a cake mix, but I have to say- this cake turned out AMAZING. It was very moist, very chocolate-y (if you couldn't get that from the picture), and it was simply delicious. It was also extremely fast and simple to make. In fact, at the end I was saying to myself, "That's it? What else can I make?" This would be a perfect cake for a party.

Here is the recipe, again taken from Hershey's Fabulous Desserts (1989):

1 package (18.25 ounces) devil's food cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
4 eggs
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup raisins

Directions: Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 12 cup Bundt pan. In large mixer bowl combine cake mix, eggs, water and oil; beat on low speed just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Stir in nuts, marshmallows, chocolate chips and raisins. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Drizzle Chocolate Chip Glaze over top or sprinkle confectioners' sugar over top.

(Note: I didn't put raisins in mine since I'm not a raisin fan.)


Chocolate Chip Glaze

In small saucepan combine
2 tablespoons butter or margarine,
2 tablespoons light corn syrup, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat; add 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips. Stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Continue stirring until glaze is desired consistency.


Voila! An easy, quick, delicious cake. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment