Saturday, March 6, 2010

Recipe: Risotto alla Milanese

Risotto alla Milanese

about 5 cups beef or chicken stock (I used chicken)
good pinch of saffron threads
6 tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups risotto rice
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I simply used the regular Parmesan cheese that I use for spaghetti)
salt and ground black pepper

1. Bring the stock to a boil in a large pan, then reduce to a low simmer. Ladle a little hot stock into a small bowl. Add the saffron threads and set aside to infuse (steep).

2. Melt 4 tbsp of the butter in a large, heavy pan until foaming. Add the onion and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, until softened and translucent but not browned.

3. Add the rice. Stir until the grains are coated with butter and starting to swell and burst, then add a few ladlefuls of the hot stock, including the saffron liquid and salt and pepper to taste (Suggestion: Add the salt later. The stock is pretty salty anyway, so I would just wait in order to see what the final product is.). Stir constantly over a low heat until all the stock has been absorbed. Add the remaining stock, a few ladlefuls at a time, allowing the rice to absorb all the liquid before adding more, and stirring constantly. After about 20-25 minutes, the rice should be just tender and the risotto golden yellow, moist and creamy. (Suggestion: I followed the directions for about 5 ladlefuls and then just dumped all the broth in, covered the pan, and put the heat on medium so the rice would boil a little. I stirred it every so often, until all of the broth was absorbed. It worked just fine. Also, I waited until it was creamy but not watery before I proceeded to the next step).

4. Gently stir in about two-thirds of the grated Parmesan and the remaining butter. Heat through gently until the butter has melted, then taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Transfer the warm risotto to a warmed serving bowl or platter and serve hot, with the remaining grated cheese served separately.

-Recipe from Appetizers, Finger Food, Buffets, and Parties by (editor) Bridget Jones

My first impression? AMAZING!

There are some things I did differently. First of all, I added all 6 tbsp at the beginning (my accident). To compensate for the butter at the end, I just added the Parmesan when the rice was mostly creamy but still a little wet and I knew it would be able to melt fine. Also, I added all of the Parmesan not just two-thirds.

It tasted amazing. I HIGHLY recommend this dish. I felt as though it was salty enough that I didn't need to add salt at the start (but then again, I used salted butter, the broth, and the Parmesan has salt in it too). It is very filling (the book even touts that it can be served as a light meal on its own). It can pretty much go with anything. Also, you could probably add vegetables, and make other variations.

The only downer? It took a really long time to make. Also, just as a warning- saffron is pretty expensive ($10 for a little pouch).

I will DEFINITELY be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment