Saturday, March 6, 2010

Recipe: Garlic Mushrooms

Garlic Mushrooms:

2 tbsp light olive oil or 1 oz butter
1lb closed cup mushrooms (you can find a 1lb box of mushrooms in the produce section at Weis)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat the oil or butter in a very large frying pan. Add the whole mushrooms and fry gently for 10 minutes or so. Cover for the first couple of minutes, then stir occasionally to assist the steaming process.

Turn up the heat, season well and add the garlic. Continue to stir and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are no longer steaming, for another 5 or so minutes. Finally, sprinkle on the parsley and lemon juice, then stir through. Thread a couple of mushrooms on each cocktail stick and serve warm (I didn't thread the mushrooms).

- Recipe from Tapas by Tomas Garcia

My first impression? Loved it.

The mushrooms were tender and the taste was amazing. The lemon and the fresh parsley added a unique flavor to them that really caught me. Surprisingly, the garlic wasn't too much. I used olive oil instead of butter, and thought it was a great choice.

After a day or two, the mushrooms had a different flavor. When I first made them the lemon and the parsley were almost the only things I could taste. However, after a little while the flavors evened out and I thought they tasted even better.

Over all, definitely a win. They were quick to make and there were no expensive or rare ingredients. They are definitely best with some sort of beef. I had them with spare ribs, which was also good. I will definitely be making these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment