Thursday, December 9, 2010

Recipe: Hot Crab Souffles

Admittedly, I didn't know what to expect as I made this. I've never eaten or made a souffle before, and I have to say it wasn't as I had imagined. In fact, everyone makes a big deal out of making them, but I thought it was incredibly easy to make. The place I felt it was lacking was the taste. It was a lot fluffier than I thought it was going to be, and I didn't feel as though the curry powder was the best spice to use. The problem with curry powder whenever I use it is that I can never seem to balance it out. It always seems like there is something missing to me, but I can't figure out what. I highly suggest that you have something else to go with this dish, like a salad or something. It's too light to eat on its own, unless you are having it for a light lunch.

Taste grade: C

As for cooking it, I thought it was actually kind of fun. I gathered up all of my materials before I made it and had them measured and at the ready. The eggs were the hardest to separate, but I learned that if you crack them in one bowl and then just take a tablespoon measuring spoon and scoop out the yolk, you can get it done fast. It was really cool watching the stiff egg whites mix with the crab mixture, too, and watching it get all fluffy.

Cook grade: A

Here's the recipe:

Hot Crab Souffles (Appetizers, Finger Food, Buffets, and Parties, 2009)

1/4 cup butter
3 tbsp fine wholemeal (whole-wheat) breadcrumbs
4 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
1 tbsp Malayan or mild Madras curry powder*
2 tbsp plain (all purpose) flour
7 tbsp coconut milk or milk
2/3 cup whipping cream
4 egg yolks
8 oz white crab meat
mild green tabasco sauce
6 egg whites
salt and ground black pepper

Use some of the butter to grease six ramekins or a 1.75 litre/3 pint/7.5 cup souffle dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs in the dishes or dish and roll them around to coat the base and sides completely, then tip out the excess breadcrumbs. Preheat the oven to 400.

Melt the remaining butter in a pan, add the spring onions and Malayan or mild Madras curry powder and cook over a low heat, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute, until softened. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more.

Gradually add the coconut milk or milk and the cream, stirring constantly. Cook over a low heat, still stirring, until smooth and thick. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the egg yolks, then the crab. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and Tabasco sauce.

In a clean grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are stiff. Using a metal spoon, stir one third of the whites into the crab mixture to slacken, then fold in the remainder. Spoon into the dishes or dish.

Bake the souffles until well risen, golden brown and just firm to the touch. Individual souffles will take about 8 minutes, while a large, single souffle will take 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.

*I used regular curry powder since I couldn't find what they were talking about.

Over all grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment