Sunday, October 24, 2010

That Really Burns My Biscuits (part 1)! Recipe: Cheesy Bat Biscuits

Ok, so they aren't actually bats...they're ghosts, but the outcome (taste-wise) was still the same, I'm sure. I did enjoy these. For how simple they were, I thought they were creative. The taste was different. They were a great substitute or replacement for garlic bread. I found the parsley and basil combination particularly grand. They complemented more than they were overbearing. If you have a pasta dish, these would be fantastic to go on the side.

Pros: Delicious and easy to make. The clean up was easy too. The taste was different (in a really good way!).

Cons: A lot of waste with the biscuits. In fact, I think I threw more dough away than I baked. I really was not happy about that. However, you could get around that by making the entire biscuit (without shaping them with a cookie cutter), or you could reuse the dough. I chose not to, though. I didn't realize I would be throwing so much out.

Things this recipe would be good for? Honestly, it doesn't make that much and you'd be probably spending a lot of time if you made them for a party. I'd say this recipe is great for a family meal. If you have small kids (or you are 5 at heart, like me), the cookie cutter effect is really neat. You could probably double the recipe of you have a large family or want to make it for a guest without too much trouble.

Annnnddddd here's the recipe:

Cheesy Bat Biscuits (from Halloween Food, Fun, and Crafts 2008)

1 can (16 ounces) jumbo buttermilk biscuits
3 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil

Preheat oven to 35o. Flatten each biscuit into shape just large enough to fit 3-inch bat cookie cutter. Cut out bat shape; discard scraps. Place biscuits on baking sheet. Lightly score biscuits to outline bat wings; poke holes with toothpick for eyes. Brush biscuits with 1 tablespoon butter. Bake 7 minutes. Meanwhile, combine cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, parsley, and basil in small bowl. Turn biscuits on end and split into halves with forks. Spread 1 teaspoon cheese mixture on bottom half of each biscuit; replace biscuit top. Bake 3 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.

Makes 8 servings.

That's all!

Grade: A- (because of waste)

Cost: cheap

Prep time: Minimal

Clean up: Minimal

No comments:

Post a Comment