Sunday, October 10, 2010

Recipe: Monster Mash Spread

I was very enthused to start my new cookbook yesterday, so I started off with this cheese spread.

My general take? Unlike the cheesecake, I actually tried it, hahaha. I LOVED it. It was very simple to make, easy cleanup, and it tasted great. The only downfall was that I wish it had been a little creamier. Other than that, I thought it was very catchy and it would be perfect dip for a Halloween party...or any party really.

Pros: Easy cleanup, quick to make, tasted great! Few ingredients and you didn't have to cook anything.

Cons: You have to wait for at least 1 to 2 hours before you can serve it.

Like I said, I would highly recommend this for a party, either at the office or for the holiday.

Ok, so here is the recipe:

Monster Mash Spread (from Halloween Food, Fun, and Crafts (2008))

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey jack cheese with Jalapeno peppers (Pepperjack cheese)
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
3 to 4 green onions, tops only (optional)
Assorted crackers

Line 8 or 9 inch round cake pan with foil. Spray with nonstick cooking spray (Pam); set aside. Combine cream cheese, pepperjack cheese, bell pepper and chopped green onions in medium bowl; mix well. Spoon into prepared pan; press mixture evenly into pan. Cover; refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or overnight. Using scissors or small knife, cut each green onion top lengthwise into long, narrow strips; place in bowl of ice water. Refrigerate until strips are curled, about 2 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, invert pan onto large platter or serving tray; remove pan. Discard foil. Garnish with green onion curls, if desired. Serve with crackers. Makes 2 cups spread. Tip: Substitute shredded Cheddar cheese for pepperjack. Drain 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles and stir into cheese mixture before spreading into prepared pan.

That's it!

When I made this I tried to keep in mind that people would be dipping crackers into this, so I tried to make the chopped bell pepper small so that it would fit on the cracker.

I just have to say that I'm very enthused for this cookbook since I'll be doing a couple of things to take me out of my comfort zone of what I can do now. Very excited!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment