Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Recipe: Chocolate Truffles


Now these were good, and very easy to make!

Cooking grade: A-

They were very simple to make. However, you do have to leave these in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours at least. I left them in for almost 24. Also, when you are rolling them into balls, they can get a little messy. I had to constantly wash my hands and wash the little scoop I was using since the chocolate was constantly sticking and it would melt easily in my hands so I couldn't form a ball. Other than that, though, I thought they were pretty fun to make. Also, I think they have a lot of potential with the coatings. It just depends on how much time you are willing to put into them.

Taste grade: B+

I give them a B+ because I didn't quite find a coating that I was completely satisfied with. I tried the unsweetened cocoa. Poor choice. The bitterness dries out your mouth. I tried the crushed hazelnuts. This was the best combination, in my opinion. I also tried confectioners' sugar. I haven't quite tried these yet, but I guarantee you I will be.

These are so rich and creamy. The semi-sweet chocolate makes the truffles taste so rich. I think the best part about these is that I actually want to eat these.


I would definitely serve these with coffee and for a dessert at a party. Since they are so easy to make, you can make a bunch of them in no time.

And now for the recipe:

Chocolate Truffles (Appetizers, Finger Food, Buffets, and Parties, 2009)

3/4 cup double (heavy) cream
1 egg yolk, beaten
10 oz plain (semisweet) Belgian chocolate, chopped (I used Ghiradelli's)
2 tbsp unsalted (sweet) butter, cut into pieces
2-3 tbsp brandy (optional-I didn't use it)

For the coatings:

(unsweetened) cocoa powder
finely chopped pistachio nuts or hazelnuts
14 oz plain (semisweet), milk, or white chocolate, or a mixture

Bring the cream to the boil, then remove the pan from the heat and beat in the egg yolk. Add the chocolate, then stir until melted and smooth. Stir in the butter and the brandy, if using, then pour into a bowl and leave to cool. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours.

Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment. Using a very small ice cream scoop or two teaspoons, form the chocolate mixture into 20-30 balls and place on the parchment. Chill if the mixture becomes too soft.

To coat the truffles with cocoa, sift some powder into a small bowl, drop in the truffles, one at a time, and roll to coat well. To coat them with nuts, roll the truffles in finely chopped pistachio nuts or hazelnuts.

To coat with chocolate, freeze the truffles for at least 1 hour. Ina small bowl, melt the plain, milk, or white chocolate over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring until melted and smooth, then leave to cool slightly.

Using a fork, dip the frozen truffles into the cooled chocolate, one at a time, tapping the fork on the edge of the bowl to shake off the excess. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and chill. If the melted chocolate thickens, reheat until smooth. All the truffles can be stored, well wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.


Over all grade: A-

I was very impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment