Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Recipe: Chicken with Lemon and Garlic

I was not impressed. I thought it was extremely quick and simple to make, however, I thought the finished product wasn't all that hot. I mean, it was OK, but I didn't go wild over it. It may have also been better had I not substituted some of the ingredients for others (particularly, I put in onion instead of the shallot that it called for). Over all, I think it needs a bit more to it before it is perfected.

Cook grade: A-

There weren't too many ingredients, and the cooking instructions were pretty straight forward. There also wasn't a lot of clean-up. It was very quick and easy. Also, it was very therapeutic during the beating of the chicken to make it thinner. I highly suggest it after a stressful week, haha.

Taste grade: C+

I think the taste was very simple and almost bland. However, I think it has a lot of potential to grow into something better.

I think I would serve this for a small meal. The book suggests serving it as tapas. I would tend to agree.

Here's the recipe:

Chicken with Lemon and Garlic (from Appetizers, Finger Food, Buffets, and Parties, 2009)

8 oz skinless chicken breast fillets
2 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp paprika
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and ground black pepper
fresh flat leaf parsley, to garnish
lemon wedges, to serve

Sandwich the chicken breasts fillets between the two sheets of clear film (plastic wrap) or baking parchment. Bat out with a rolling pin or meat mallet until the fillets are about 1/4 in thick.

Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken into strips about 1/2 in wide.

Heat the oil in a large, heavy frying pan or wok until it is very hot but not smoking. Add the chicken strips, shallot, garlic, and paprika and stir-fry over a high heat for about 3 minutes, until the chicken is lightly browned and cooked through.

Stir in the lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a warm platter and serve immediately with lemon wedges, garnished with flat leaf parsley.


Over all grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment