Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 2: Bringin' Down da House...of Pancakes

My second day here started with a breakfast/brunch at the House of Pancakes. I ordered the banana pancakes with a large milk. I got 3 large pancakes with bananas mixed in the batter. They were really, really good. They were also extremely filling. I took most of it home for breakfast tomorrow. The service was also very fast, although not particularly friendly (I'm learning this is the norm though). It was also reasonably affordable. Over all a great start to the day.

After I got done with breakfast I ventured to the beach. I will say that the best way to get there is by walking or bicycle. It seems that car parking is rather scarce. Also public transportation seems to be pretty cheap ($3 for an all day pass).

The beach was pretty crowded but surprisingly clean. The water was really cold, and today there was a bit of a chilly breeze. I did enjoy my time there though and was able to get a pretty sweet tan and catch some afternoon z's. Unfortunately it is supposed to rain for most of this week but I'm hoping to catch at least one more day out there.

After the beach I showered up and headed to the boardwalk. I ate dinner at "Guys on the Beach". It was a pizza/wings/Greek food place. I had a Shamaba sandwich, which was basically Caribbean jerk chicken in a pita with hummus, lettuce, and black olives. It was amazing! The boardwalk fries there were also really good. It tasted like they were made in sunflower oil. It was a pretty costly venture, though, but the service was good and the food was fantastic.

The boardwalk itself was fairly unimpressive to me. I walked down the half that didn't include the amusement park with the hopes of just getting in some shopping, but I was extremely disappointed. The shops were basically all the same (cheap quality, novelty beach ware for super expensive). Extremely disappointing.

My night ended by venturing to the local Food Lion to buy some basic groceries for the week. My suggestion for any future Ocean City goers is that if you are particular on your diet, bring some of your own food. The food store had mostly extremely fattening foods, promoting snack foods for parties as well as mixers and cheap shot glasses.

My over all consensus on this trip so far is that everyone here is extremely unfriendly. The employed do not seem to be happy about the season and the tourists are some of the most selfish and ignorant people I have ever seen. Also the shopping is awful. Even the main street here (Coastal Highway) has very repetitive and overpriced items. Finally, unlike most beach locations, this one doesn't seem to have a good candy outlet. The best one we could find was Wockenfuss, but it's quality was lacking.

With that, here's to keeping an open mind for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment