Sunday, March 27, 2011

Around Harrisburg: Zembo Shrine Circus

I attended this circus with my little sister (Big Brothers Big Sisters!) a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

This event is fantastic for kids and families. My little sister is 8, and she loved it (in fact, it was her second time seeing it when she was with me). There aren't a lot of animals in the show, though. There are ponies (for pony rides at the beginning), dogs, and pigs. As a result of this, the circus is filled with a lot of acrobatics and tricks.

The most disappointing thing about this circus were the clown acts, the magic act, and the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd. The clown acts simply were dull and weren't full of zest. Although, I have to say that it was a delight interacting with them outside of their act. They would circulate throughout the crowd during the show and the intermission to get the crowd more excited and more engaged. I thought that personal interaction was really cool. As for the magic act, there weren't a lot of tricks. It was basically the same trick over and over again. Finally, the crowd enthusiasm...there really wasn't any. People were so unresponsive it was disappointing. I had hoped for (a) more people in attendance and (b) for more excitement. It almost gave me the sense that I was witnessing the dying days of the circus culture. Sad.

That being said, I think this is a pretty fun event. While it's not a huge circus, it was definitely a cool thing to do during the day on Saturday or Sunday. I'd love to be proved wrong and see people get excited about it. I highly recommend it for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment